Saturday, May 22, 2021

Negotiation

I've learned quickly that backpacking is an exercise in negotiation.  What do you want to bring vs how much weight are you willing to carry?

Turns out I don't actually own a backpack that is suitable for multiday trips.  I have daypacks and duffels.  Thankfully D has an older 50L one I have been filling and training with.  

Let me tell you, I didn't love it then the weight was over 25lbs.  So out came my tarp, paracord, tent footprint, hatchet and 2L of water (leaving just 1L for now).  I will still have a knife that I can baton wood with.    

Am packing for a few scenarios.  First will likely be a local hike in basecamp setup for a few days.  Will have to go back and forth as I will need to fetch water.  And want to bring a hatchet or axe to be able to process wood for the fire.  But I won't need to worry about bear proofing, just critter proofing.

The most difficult will be a multiday camp in bear country because the bear vaults etc.  adds significant amount of weight.  I'll likely upgrade to a 65L pack especially if I'm going in cooler temperatures as you'll need extra clothing and cold weather gear tend to be heavier.

For a multiday hike that is more culture based like in Nepal, Turkey, Europe etc.  that doesn't involve camping, packing would be much easier.  Just a daypack as I won't need to worry about carrying too much food or water. 

I'm starting to tire of all this planning but no real doing.  Camping has been delayed yet again until mid June now.  Which has meant our canoe classes as well... Been doing some stress baking lately, which has provide a nice reprive from all the uncertainty.  Just follow the recipe and voila, something expected actually happens!  

No comments:

Post a Comment