Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Solo

I'm starting to really miss solo adventures. 

My intention is to solo camp for the week before we are scheduled to canoe camp late next month, assuming our stay at home orders aren't extended.  At this moment, it isn't looking good.  Both of our canoe course have been rescheduled already.  

However, having something to look forward to is important for my mental health.  I like to be learning, planning and moving towards something rather than dwell on what I cannot do.  Possibilities keep me enthusiatic and sane.  We've already come up with new options for our local area to check out.

I finally started delving into cooking with cast iron this month after getting an outdoor griddle.  We were originally going the Blackstone route but switched to a Camp Chef two burner system with removable griddle for more versitility.  

Had long been intimidated by cast iron cookware and the whole needing to season it etc.  Right now I only have a panini press and a 12" fry pan (8 lbs!) and having used and cleaned it a couple of times, I want more!   

The first time was a bit of mess as soon as I added some gluten free gnocchi to sauteed onions and bacon.  It had only been seasoned once.  After the 2nd seasoning, noodles did not stick and neither did tofu.  D is going to season it once more for good measure.  

Having had low ferritin, this is another way to add iron to my food in order to avoid yet another supplement.  I going to order both 8" and 10" pans to add to my collection which will also work well over a fire.  Don't think I have a need to go the dutch oven route yet.

3 comments:

  1. So frustrating to be locked down again! Only a few more days, though, right? Fingers crossed you can reopen again and stay open. It's madness here, but not surprised. So much for a 'slow reopen'! :P

    So iron cookware is good for low iron levels? I had no idea! Perhaps I should invest in at least one frying pan then, as I tend to be slightly anaemic. I think it's been cost and care (like you) that's turned me off, but it's a sound investment, really, so will have a look. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So frustrating to be locked down again! Only a few more days, though, right? Fingers crossed you can reopen again and stay open. It's madness here, but not surprised. So much for a 'slow reopen'! :P

    So iron cookware is good for low iron levels? I had no idea! Perhaps I should invest in at least one frying pan then, as I tend to be slightly anaemic. I think it's been cost and care (like you) that's turned me off, but it's a sound investment, really, so will have a look. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our stay at home order has been extended until May 20th now. Buying time until a larger percentage of the population can get immunized. They probably know with each order, a greater number of people will not listen but hope that there are still enough that will to hopefully make a difference.

    You can also look into "lucky iron fish" https://luckyironfish.com/

    Easy to use, just pop it in soups or boiling water with a bit of citrus to release the iron. My iron numbers continue hold well so using it and eating more lentils is part of my routine now. Hope it can work for you!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete