Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Keeping it Local

We had fun last week supporting our area ice cream parlours, beachside establishments, bakeries, seasonal farm stores.  Any excuse to eat fun foods in the sunshine. 

I've already spent a lot more time sitting and dining outside on our deck compared to previous years.  It has been so pleasant to actually use our beautiful and solidly built outdoor furniture.  D reminded me that our set is 8 or 9 years old now and it still looks and feels brand new.  Definitely worth the investment

Unexpected treat highlights were our soft serve cones dipped in salted caramel and chocolate hazelnut respectively.  It was a long week and even a 15 min drive radius with fun food stops provided the needed pick-me-up. 

Later today D will be doing a farm order pick up containing highly anticipated first strawberries of the season along with eggs and other staples. 

I continue to be acutely aware of the issue of food insecurity.  And could not help thinking that a seemingly "simple" act of going out for hot dogs, beach fries and onion rings is not realistic for many families right now. 

So we continue to support local food banks and organizations who distribute supermarket cards to anyone in need.

2 comments:

  1. It's a strange and unsettling time, isn't it? We've been doing fine, and have arranged meat and fish deliveries, as well as a weekly veg delivery, so we've barely been out other than to walk regularly. I've been off work since w/c 30 March and not at all sure when I'll be going back, although the office has been reopen for several weeks now. The country feels more or less back to normal which is both disappointing and somewhat of a relief, although I have no idea what will happen this autumn with respect to (re)rising numbers.

    I had grand plans to do a gazillion and one things but haven't had the focus or concentration to do much of anything. It's hard not to feel that I've wasted this time, but I think that's unfair to myself, seeing as none of us know how to prepare for this sort of thing or know how we're going to get through it.

    But it could be so much worse.

    It sounds like you're really enjoying being back out and enjoying the little things. I hope you can maintain it, so stay well there! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel it is necessary to continue being gentle with yourself. Who knows how long this simultaneous state of pause and rupture will last with different regions of the world at differing paces? And it drains my sense of hope and motivation some days.

    Right now, having that base of the pyrimid covered with respect to basic needs is more than a lot of people have and like yourself, I'm more than grateful for that.

    I am worried that we might emerge fearful of the world and fearful of each other. That would be such a tragedy on top of what already is.

    We are starting to open up again although I've given up hope of travel within Canada this summer as travel much outside of our immediate area is still not encouraged. Who knows when our international borders will open.

    What seemed like a long ways away (fall), is no longer. As negative as it may sound, I'm gearing up for "not much different" for the remainder of this year.

    Hope you continue to enjoy your outdoors time. I'm still staying quite isolated for the most part. Just had my first massage in 3 months today! Followed by blood work and eye exam this week. Little things right... Keep well yourself!

    ReplyDelete