Monday, December 27, 2010

Credit Card Expiry

I have 3 credit cards. A Visa, MC and an Amex. At one point in my life, I was down to one and got caught not having a pin for it in Europe about 10 yrs ago (before Cdn cards became pin cards) and Visa wouldn't give me one over the phone.

That's how I ended up getting the MC and Amex because they would. Because you never know when you'll be needing back up.

I'm in the midst of finalizing my last trip of 2011 when I noticed 2 of my 3 cards are expiring in Mar 2011. The last one (MC) in May 2011. That presents a bit of a pickle when you are hoping to take advantage of sales and make reservations later on the year.

I know my Visa company will not issue the new card until 2 weeks before. I cannot remember what MC does. Amex sends replacement cards the earliest, about 1 month before.

Making the situation more complicated than it ought to be, it would be nice to get some reward points for this trip which mean ideally, I'd like to use the Visa.

In the end, I will likely just use the MC as the trip I'm working on is at the end of April just so I can finalize things before the new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment