Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Spending Round Up

As I was sipping (gulping is likely more accurate) my peppermint mocha the other day, I said to D that I have spent more money at Starbucks this year than the last 5 years combined. By more I mean around the $50 mark. I don't seem to be tiring of that drink.

Each year both Starbucks and Second Cup introduce their holiday drink series and Starbucks has hit the mark with my taste buds this season. When I fly home in 2 weeks, I will be looking forward to my next dose at the airport!

As the year draws to a close, I'd like to round up the major spending that went on in 2009. My handy dandy spreadsheet is invaluable for this as I have forgotten more than I realize.

Travel starts the list off with flights purchased to France, Argentina, Alaska and Newfoundland on top of our usual ones for BC. We also prepaid for accommodations at the bottom of the Grand Canyon.

I put new tires and front brakes (2nd set ever) on my car along with some oil spray. D got rid of his car and replaced it with a used one. Before he was able to trade it in, his old car got new brake lines. His new to him car got snow tires and rims and oil sprayed.

We upgraded the insurance on our properties, I bought new skis and donated to various charitable causes.

Had I sprung for the EVO, it would have topped everything on the list (outside of the house in NF that also didn't materialize) but I didn't and looking back, it was the right decision for then. No promises in the coming years though...

Speaking of cars, I am still very pleased with mine. Had I gotten a new one, our plan was to keep mine because it is the most practical for the cottage. We had planned to take D's car to the airport a week ago but had to make a last minute switch as it couldn't hold all of our luggage...

The EVO would be in the same boat as the trunk is practically non existent because they designed it for balance, not practicality (the battery and windshield washer fluid are in the trunk for even weight distribution -- so is the subwoofer).

Looking to next year, I will likely be replacing my rear drum brakes. They are squeaking pretty good right now and have never been replaced since '97. I was last told in the fall that there was 35% left. People get out of my way because I sound like I am not able to stop. It makes me giggle.

Other than that, I am not anticipating much else outside of oil changes for next year... knock on wood. The rate I am driving it, it won't be ready for the next timing belt for years. I have 272K on it and the next belt is due around 360K.

Sure, I have some surface rust and got a quote a couple of summers ago. I didn't want to spend the money on it and we are working to doing some work ourselves.

I told D I put my foot down on the fiberglass stuff. It stinks so bad, I almost faint from it (bad previous experience with my parents' car). If the rust ever gets so bad I would need filler, then I'm making the appointment at the body shop.

2 comments:

  1. My car is rusting a bit around a couple of doors that will need fixed at the body shop in the spring. I've never oiled my car, and am wondering if I should have now - I always figured the cost of oiling in the fall for years would approximate the cost of new body work down the road, but I guess I'll see when I look for estimates around the city.

    Hope your holidays go well.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dave;

    I'll be curious to see what you find out about that.

    We only spray once every 3 years or so and use the non drip which seems to stay there for a long time.

    When I bought my car as a 1 yr old, the previous owner had the black spray done which was supposed to be good for 10 yrs.

    Hope you have a super holiday yourself!

    ReplyDelete