Sunday, December 20, 2009

No More Pant Shopping

We went into town for the day yesterday and reacquainted ourselves with a host of favorite places to eat and shop.

There were some clothing deals to be had and I came back home with a couple of pairs of pants to replace some ailing ones I have. Those being replaced won't be thrown out but relegated as official cottage and ski bum wear.

I cannot describe the frustration I felt when I was jean shopping. By the time I was done, I was seriously starting to sweat. Trying on clothing isn't a enjoyable thing for me at the best of times so when you throw in the size chart differences at respective stores, I liken it as fun as a trip to the dentist.

The store I bought my jeans from was Jacob. Their pants are sized according to what I think is hip size. Because when I chose what I thought was my waist size, I couldn't get those pants up past my knees. I realize that my mental body image may deviate far from reality but I honestly couldn't believe it could be that far off!

I ended up 5 sizes larger before they fit well. Lucky for me, I don't get upset with things like that nor do I get offended or embarrassed with the final size number. The most important thing for me is that they fit, they don't exposed half of my behind when I squat and can sit down comfortably.

It is beyond my comprehension just how some girls and women fit into some jean/pants. Some are so skinny, I don't think I could get my arm down them, much less tuck them into long boots as the current style seems to dictate. I know that I probably sound like some old grizzled woman here.

The store manager was the one helping me yesterday and she was very sympathetic to my cause. After the 3rd try on, I was starting to get frustrated and told her that the pants I wore into the store was a size 2 from The Gap, maybe she would know how to convert it to their sizing.

Now that I know what size I am for that store (30), then I will be able to hopefully avoid a repeat of my experience yesterday. Considering I wear my pants for years before they get worn out, sizing charts may have change by then.

I had an easier time at Esprit. Their pants were sized from zero onwards. I'm more familiar with that way and ended up fitting into their size 4. Poor D was the stereotypical guy waiting on the bench outside the storefront. The 2 pairs of pants plus a scarf added up to $87.01.

A great lunch at our favorite British fish and chips place and a post lunch Peppermint Mocha helped to ease my morning pain in the behind.

2 comments:

  1. Don't even get me started on finding a pair of pants that fit...I feel your pain. It's ridiculous in the variation of sizing from store to store. Happy holidays and all the best in 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for understanding Sue!

    I honestly don't know how some of my friends and spend hours trying on clothing and enjoying it.

    Take care yourself and the best to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete