Monday, December 28, 2009

New Age Travel

The latest attempted airplane bombing has left me wondering about the airlines and how their way of doing business and how our way of traveling by plane will change again.

When the markets plunged this year, people were re-evaluating how they are handling their money. With increased security and delays at airport check points, people who do not need to travel for business may be thinking twice or 3 times before considering air travel. I can understand that. And I can understand if road trips, bus or train travel business get a boost due to the latest news.

How will that impact me?

D and I discussed this over the last couple of days and we believe a new era for air travel is already here. It is a new reality that will need to be accepted. If not, then people will find other ways to get to where they wish or not go at all.

Having caught the travel bug in the last week or so, I have been looking at a few perspective travel itineraries, 2 of which fly through or to the US. I am not scared to fly. I just know that the coming months will be chaotic and I would prefer to do those itineraries once the initial hype is over.

I happen to have traveled during the first few days when liquids where first restricted at Heathrow. The tension was palpable as no airport staff wanted to be the one that messed up. Others who did not know of the new restrictions were distressed when told they would have to dump their $90 face cream or morning yogurt.

Out of the places I was researching, only one (Havana) doesn't involve a connection through the US. I am going to wait and see how things settle before committing to anything.

3 comments:

  1. I have been reading through our blog and find it facinating. I live in the US and the airline issue came up because we have a summer vacation planned. The news didn't affect our plans at all. I know that things in this world are not what they used to be.

    I have spent a great deal of my life being afraid that the idea of being afraid of something so unlikely is ridiculous to me. Driving a car is so much more dangerous but I don't hesitate to climb in my care on a daily basis.

    I hope you don't avoid the US because of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I beleive our airports are still on the liquid restrictions. Less than 100ml only and then it must be bagged and scanned separately. It is a bit irritating but certainly less so than be blown up. Now we just have to hope that terrorists declare their liquids as they board as well!
    Lizzie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi SandraD!

    Thanks for stopping by! No, I won't be avoiding the US. I enjoy the US too much.

    I too agree that our odds are much worse in a car!

    Hi Lizzie!

    Yes, we can hope!

    ReplyDelete