Monday, June 8, 2009

Do It Yourself?

I'm sure that I am not the only one realize this connection -- that self sufficiency saves money. For me, knowing that and really knowing that and choosing to live that have been quite different.

I grew up with both parents working in blue collar jobs. They were adamant that I do not go there and my dad went as far as not allowing me to apply for a summer job where he worked so that I wouldn't get my hands dirty. I wasn't too happy with that.

So I had it in my mind that manual work was beneath mental work. I thought that mindset is a bit silly as I happen to enjoy raking, mowing the lawn and painting the house. I've even gone as far as do body work on a car. By the way, that fiberglass stuff really, really stinks!

When I met D, he brought the whole do it yourself thing to a whole new level. Having worked in construction for the summers while in school and having a dad that was an electrician, gave him skills that were far superior to the stuff I dabbled on.

He wasn't afraid to try something he hadn't personally done before because he was confident that he could figure it out...like plumbing... I was nervous about that because I have a thing with leaks. He managed to do it and I was impressed.

Nowadays, I believe that if we are physically capable of doing something, then why not? If the math doesn't add up, then choose differently but our first notion is try it ourselves first.

No comments:

Post a Comment