Friday, April 24, 2009

On Meat

Over the last year or so, our organic butcher was in the process of cutting back hours in our local shop. We got tired of the long Saturday morning line ups and decided to take it as a sign that maybe, this is finally the time to start seriously cutting back our meat consumption.

The benefits are obvious and the timing was right. We had switched to organic meat a few years ago as our effort to move away from antibiotic and other drug tainted meat. Reducing consumption was where I was hoping to go and now it is here.

For the last year or so, we've stopped buying things like Prime Rib, steaks, rump roasts etc. We do still buy bacon, ground beef, chicken, turkey and pork. I cannot remember the last time we grilled a steak. And our portion sizes of meat have decreased dramatically -- 50% less.

Whereas, our previous heavy meat eating lifestyle would include steak/prime rib weekly. For us, it just doesn't make sense anymore, from the pocketbook perspective nor the environmental one.

I cannot say that I will ever become vegan but I would like my food pendulum to move more that way this year.

2 comments:

  1. I've been a vegetarian for 15 years now, I hated meat as a kid and as soon as I was out of my parents house I gave it up entirely. But I did just buy a 10 pound roast for the dogs! I don't expect anyone else to live my way. Cutting back on meat is good in many ways, it's good for your health, your wallet and the environment. Even organic animal husbandry is tough on the land, too many animals in too small a space. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Miss M! 15 yrs! That's awesome. I'm inspired!

    ReplyDelete