Friday, December 12, 2008

Be Nice, Clear your ice...or snow or sidewalk...

It's been snowing pretty good this morning. Every year around this time, I am reminded of a scene emblazoned in my memory since I was 11 yrs old or so.

It was Christmas Eve and my family was gathering at my aunt and uncle's house to share some food, laughter and presents.

My mother and father were unloading presents out of the trunk of the car and my brother and I were inside visiting.

All of a sudden, we heard a scream.

It was my mother, pinned in between our car bumper and the bumper of a neighbour's car who had backed out of their driveway (from across the street) and managed to keep backing up until somehow, they were directly bum to bum with my parent's car which was parked alongside the curb on the other side.

They didn't know they had hit anyone until my mother banged on the trunk of their car with her hand. My mother hadn't seen them coming as she was bent over in the trunk trying to reach the last of the gifts.

I don't think you could have orchestrated that if you tried. The kicker was that they managed to do that without being able to see as they had decided not to clear the snow off their car outside of what their windshield wipers were able to do--not even the side mirrors!

Inside their car was their whole family--mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, kids. My aunt and uncle knew them and had always thought of them as kind people. Needless to say, the accident kinda ruined their Christmas too. The ambulance came and took my mother, father and uncle with them and hours later, they came back.

My mother, luckily, only sustained a strain to her knees but it still bothers her when the weather gets damp.

Ever since, I have had a extra pet peeve about vehicles that are not well cleared of snow.

I will not drive my car if it hasn't been cleared of snow and ice. I don't care if I get totally soaked or if it takes 1/2 hr to get all the ice off.

So please, please, please, take the extra time to make sure that you can completely see out of your vehicle before driving this winter!

2 comments:

  1. You must have been traumatized! Sounds like your Mom was lucky - it could have been so much worse!

    Snow and ice on the roof of your car or truck is a problem too. I konw it can be difficult to reach, but when you're behind someone on the highway and a sheet of ice or snow flies off their roof and into your windshield, it's a dangerous situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I am very grateful that she came away relatively unscathed.

    No kidding about the roof ice. Tractor trailers are the worse for that!

    ReplyDelete