Saturday, October 31, 2009

Happy Halloween!

This will be the first Halloween we've been around since we moved in 2 years ago. Normally we are in France. So we are currently unprepared candy wise. That'll be taken care of later on today. I'm going to insist on carving a pumpkin or 2 as well. Why not? D isn't too excited but he doesn't know who he is dealing with.

I led my high school homeroom class to 2 pizza party victories with winning the school pumpkin carving contest 2 years in a row. If you haven't gathered by now, food is a huge motivator for me....

Instead of just focusing on the pumpkin all alone, I like to create a scene. The first year, we came up with Humpty Dumpty -- so 2 pumpkins, one before, on the wall dressed up, and one after, cracked open like an egg with a "fried egg" (made of a white and yellow plastic bag) leaking out with band aids everywhere. We even had the wall, a white picket fence and fake grass!

My senior year, I was studying music history at the conservatory and a piece of music was the spark. It was Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique. The last part of the fourth movement musically describes an execution via guillotine complete with the sound of the head rolling down.

I'm thinking perfect! We do that scene with a stuffed body etc and a frightened, crazed looking head rolled away with exposed "neck" and bloody hair, doorway as the guillotine, rope, blade and that segment of music playing in the background.

Great memories! Have Fun tonight Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment