Friday, April 26, 2019

Places 3
















Super fun time in Maboneng, Johannesburg.
Voted one of the hippest neighbourhoods in the world.

Can understand why and would wholeheartedly agree!
Trendy, artsy places, international influences.

Would fly here for a long weekend dose of fun, no hesitation.

There is a caveat.
This artsy community is a manufactured bubble,
with obvious poverty around its 24 hr secured streets.
And warnings not to go beyond.

I did anyways, to the surprise of people sitting outside
and working inside of the variety store,  pharmacy and supermarket.

I happily supported their businesses and calmly walked back
over to "the other side" with their small opaque
black plastic shopping bags, presumably to hide its contents.

Noticed people would look at the bag and then look at me
knowing where I must have been to have one of those.

I got tired of just looking at the real local life scene outside my studio loft window.

As well as standing at a street corner looking at the next block,
wondering what the difference was in that 50 meters, that made it so "unsafe". 

No comments:

Post a Comment