I just got some shocking news from work. In a last minute emergency meeting a couple of days ago, it was announced that everyone's cost of doing business there is going up -- get this -- June 1st -- that's tomorrow. There is a lot of speculation as to why the owners are so cash strapped.
We have been given sheets with the new rent rates with no potential of negotiation. Is that even legal? For a second there, I had to ask myself if I was still living in Canada. I spent hours yesterday fielding phone calls from my co-workers, brainstorming about options etc.
Some of my co-workers do not have a lot of assets and are in a tight spot. I feel for them but I need a plan for myself first before I can decide if I would be willing to sign a new lease for everyone in the group.
The bottom line is I need an exit strategy fairly quick as the idea of paying $1400/month extra in rent when I'm already paying around $4000/month isn't sitting well. One of my co-worker's has a family member who is a lawyer and they are looking into that aspect.
Either way, the planning needs to move ahead swiftly. And the owners have now made it OK to give 10 people/business owners 2 days notice...
First D a couple of months ago, and now me. Are there extra full moons this year? I'm doing my best to focus. The positive thing is that I haven't lost my job, just my costs have gone up significantly. I don't want to rush a decision nor do I want to dawdle.