Thursday, September 17, 2009

Fuel Mileage

I am eager to start seeing the monthly differences in our car fuel bills. We took D's car to the cottage a couple of weekends ago and I was pretty amazed to realize the mileage difference.

My vehicle has a 55 L gas tank. I can get 550 km per tank.

D's Civic has a 50 L gas tank. When we pulled into the gas station, the gas light was on and we had run 768 km already. Turns out there were still 6 litres left in the tank.

That would mean potentially we could have gone a good amount over 800 km. Pretty cool.

When I looked at the Honda Fit, it was even better. It has a 40 L gas tank and the gas mileage is the same as a current Civic (which is better than D's 2005 one). Unbelievable.

A couple of years ago, I test drove a Prius and the Camry Hybrid. I like the feel of the Prius much better and the new 2010 model even better.

I had no idea the the gap between regular gasoline vehicles and hybrids are closing so fast.

Not needing to be car shopping the last 12 years has seriously left me out of the loop.

2 comments:

  1. We have 2 cars, a v-8 explorer and a 4cyl nissan. what a difference, it is murder to drive toe explorer at 10mpg vs the nissan high 20's!

    John DeFlumeri

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had identical vehicles so mentally it never was an issue. Now that D has his new one, it really makes me stop and notice.

    ReplyDelete