Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Waiting

I do not particularly like the act of waiting.

When I'm on vacation and am waiting for a plane or a train, I'm really good.

When there are 3 pending sales, not so good. I am waiting for my paypal account to register monies deposited and am waiting for a price to be finalized and am waiting til Friday when another item is delivered and sold.

Potential total amount of sales this week -- $1100 -- which will bring the grand total sales to around $4200 for the last 2 weeks. I am running out of things to sell.

I thought of something yesterday as I was impatiently waiting for confirmation.

That I am going through the process of clearing out my "estate" while I am still alive. Interesting concept.

Before I realized that I had enough things of value that were worth selling, ie. the scrap gold jewellery, I just assumed that I would lug it around and just hold onto it. After all, it isn't heavy or inconvenient.

Had I done that, and never got around to deciding its fate, my executors would be the ones who would have the job of going through the stuff and doing essentially the same thing. Or worse, have an auctioneer come in and get pennies for everything in the house.

It suddenly made sense in a big picture way, why it is great I am doing this now. I might as well be benefiting from the sale of my unused stuff now when I could use the money then leave it for others to deal with when I'm gone.

In a way, it is like that exercise you read about, where you are asked to write your own obituary. What of you, do you want to leave behind and how do you wish to be remembered?

No comments:

Post a Comment