D Super Surprised me last night.
I brought up the idea of making a list of what to buy to round out the ski rental plan as we are planning to head into town today for a change of scenery and a break from 1 week of straight skiing.
He told me that he has decided to withdraw his rental proposals.
I was dumbfounded. I had made up my mind to give it a go for a year and see what comes out of it.
He had already made contact with a local cleaning service and negotiated a fair rate. Insurance is in place -- the policy has been paid for. He has spent a lot of time developing the website and calling all sorts of places and people. We've even bought 4 sets of comfy cosy linens back home in anticipation.
He feels that the rental idea is a good one. BUT, it wouldn't be a great idea for us. US meaning more ME as he doesn't relish the idea of having to handle ME if I were to come back into either space to discover that there is a scratch on the wall, stain on the mattress and the "energy" of the places have changed.
He thinks that I will end up selling the properties because I will feel that they were no longer mine. And right now, we don't HAVE to rent them.
I cannot deny that I would have a cow if I found a red wine stain on my off white sofas at the cottage (it is decorated in a "Hampton" beach style"). AND I cannot deny that I am very sensitive to how places "feel" and how different people can affect the energy of a place -- even people I like.
On a positive note, we have learned a lot about the process and found out that neither insurance policy we had in place were ideal (even from a non rental perspective).
There are newer policies available we didn't know about -- policies that are more specific to cottages and ski condos. The upgrade to the more niche policies will cost about $450 more a year total for both properties.
I love that he knows me so well to know how I would be but I cannot help but feel like some high maintenance chick -- am still getting over the shock of his position.