Friday, November 14, 2008

My First Major Luxury

I bought my cottage 4 years ago, shortly after meeting my future husband. I was at a point in my career where I was burning out and afraid to take vacations. How crazy is that? Nonetheless, I was one of those people. Eventually my actions began to have a negative impact on my mental, emotional and physical health. I stopped working out. I ate more convenience and expensive restaurant foods as a treat for working so hard. I started dreading going to work. Not a pretty place to be in.

One of my life and retirement dreams was to live by water, a beach. After meeting my future parents in law one weekend (who live lakeside), the old buried idea sprung right out in my face. After a couple of months searching and viewing I found it. It was the very last property. The timing wasn't ideal in that I would have preferred to be mortgage free but I was driven by something deeper. It was a yearning back to nature, more often than the occasional invite up north. It was going to be a lifestyle and it was sized and priced proportional to how much it was going to be used.

I view money as a form of energy. When I spend, it needs to make sense within the whole picture of my life. The cottage cost about half of my home at the time. I didn't want it to be the end all and be all of my life because I have many other facets I wish to explore and develop. Why it is a luxury to me is because I can to use it when I want to without having to make a reservation . If I don't feel like going, no problem, no guilt. It is a true cottage, built 64 years ago, very small and cosy. It allows me to live differently and by doing so, helps ground me and makes finding peace and joy really easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment