Saturday, October 4, 2008

Cooking

Cooking is one of those skills I didn't feel I had time for while in my heavy duty working years. I am just too exhausted most nights to feel like pulling out a recipe book no matter how pretty the pictures are. I wanted to give the art of cooking the time it deserved so made up my mind that it wasn't going to happen until I was sufficiently retired.

Boy, was I wrong to wait all these years. I had been underestimating myself and didn't even know it. Don't get me wrong. I am not claiming to be a wunderchef. On the contrary, it hasn't taken a whole lot of effort to completely change our weekly meals plus save a significant amount of money. And we are eating well! Most of the dishes I enjoy has not required the level of know how or effort needed compared to a first year chemistry lab.

My goal wasn't necessarily to save money. Some things (like home made pizza costs the same or slightly more because I've opted to use better cheese.) What has been the real surprise in all this is the sense of satisfaction I feel about being able to do it myself. Now that I have a reasonably stocked pantry, it has saved the amount of running around to pick up this and that.

In time I shall post some of my favorite recipes for everyone to try out.

No comments:

Post a Comment