Monday, October 6, 2008

A Bit More About Me

I am a 36 year old health care provider living in a small "city" (town) in Canada.

Somehow I knew I was not to live a conventional life. Don't ask me how but I remember looking around at my extended family one afternoon while drawing what was to be my first art contest submission at the age of 8 and thinking that I was not going to live like them. The 5 days or 7 days a week (in the case of my dad) of working at an uninspiring job did not appeal even then.

Little did I know what I really wanted was freedom. Freedom from schedules, freedom to live according to the seasons, surrounded by beauty and art. Some of that cost money. I grew up in a family that valued education and hard work. I was the first on either side to go to university. Though I love art and literature, I also excelled in business and sciences. In the end, it was the sciences that I followed as it was to be my chosen path to career success. I studied music and art privately on the weekends.

Currently I work as an associate in group practice 3 days a week. I turned down the offer of partnership as I did not wish to expend even more energy in the "paid work" category. What I longed for was time to start pursuing the art of living. I had spent the last 10 years of my life putting down the foundations of my life and paying for them. Now that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, I'm nervous to see whether all the pieces will fall together like I had imagined, dreamed and formed into reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment