Monday, February 10, 2020

Mistrust

I'm probably not alone in being glued to the developing news surround the coronavirus.

How can I avoid it, when I know people from a number of affected Asian countries who have been faced with the realization that their leaders have again chosen profit over the well being of its citizens.  

I'm so angry for them.  The levels of stress from the unknown but knowing you aren't likely to get the support you need must be unbelievably overwhelming. 

We can exercise our freedom and avoid visiting for the time being if we wish.  But being stuck in countries where substandard and or lack of testing is quietly going on, with no choice, accountability or control reminds me again and again, how very fortunate those of us are here.  

And that world chart showing reported cases, lumping all countries as if they are all acting with the highest standards... BS!   

How can you compare the openess of reporting and extent of contact tracing that a country like Singapore is doing with the likes Indonesia and Cambodia?  And don't get me started on that Cambodian leader.  

5 comments:

  1. So frustrating and frightening, isn't it? Misinformation, 'hoax' claims, lackadaisical preparedness - the list goes on. It's 'easy' to feel smug and comfortable in more enlightened (shall we say?) countries, but even here I don't fully trust the current gov to take it as seriously as they should. I'm planning for a trip to Canada in September, but am holding off buying a ticket for two reasons: one,waiting to see how this plays out (airports - nightmares generally, and the heightened potential for transference doesn't add to my enthusiasm), and two, as a dual citizen I apparently need a Canadian passport to travel to/transit through Canada. So I have to arrange that first.

    Anyway, welcome to 2020. Yeesh! Stay safe xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's overwhelming, the scope of infection that is developing. Need to step back from following the news so closely. The level of suffering with healthcare workers in China working around the clock got to me.

      I've been forced to really appreciate, for better or worse, the scale and consequences of how we move about in the world as well as our reliance on China for so many things.

      We've cancelled plans for this month and that's not a big deal. It wouldn't have been much of a vacation in the current heightened environment.

      Makes total sense for you to wait and see. What type of trip are you planning?

      Delete
  2. Agreed. I've been following kind of closely, but it's exhausting and ridiculous and I need to stop. We can only do the best we can do anyway, and panicking and worry helps nothing.

    It really does make you think, doesn't it? How we rely and trust blindly others to maintain us. Shelves are emptying of toilet paper here (for some mad reason), so while I'm not getting overly concerned, I do have an Amazon order in process should I need one. Otherwise, it's more or less business as normal.

    My trip was just to visit friends and family (BC/Yukon) as it's been 7 years and I felt it was about time! I can wait until spring, though, if I need to. I'd rather wait than risk anything really. If I don't HAVE to go, I won't. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't experienced the run on toilet paper out my way yet...hopefully it won't come to that but fear does strange things to peoples' minds.

      Our ability to get totally worked up can be more harmful. All those reports of people getting harrassed and assulted for being Asian -- Some of us human beings aren't showing our best sides right now.

      Combined with all the natural disasters, this year is packing a not so nice wallop. And we are nearly a quarter of the way in.

      Can't believe it has been 7 years since your move! It has gone by fast! All we can do right now is have fun planning for the positive and should it not materialize, at least the work is done and all you have to do is shift to a new date.

      Hope your running is going well!

      Delete
    2. ps. I was mistaken... the run on toilet paper and bottle water has reached my area Costco.. cannot believe it...

      Delete