Saturday, October 5, 2019

Summer

When I got sick after getting accidentally splashed with river water in Phnom Penh, I didn't anticipate it would end up being the first of several illness events that would eventually lead to cancellation of a few trips and taking 10 weeks off of travelling.

Boy, did I ever need that time.  Even when mid Aug arrived, when I thought I ought to have fully recovered; I still felt like I wasn't ready to pack up and go yet.  It was a return to Guatemala, for more Spanish lessons.  I went, but decided to forgo the lesson part and used the time to slowly wander around Antigua instead.

Even today, I don't feel like I've built back up to where I was yet.  It's coming along slowly but I have acquired some poor eating habits that I need to knock down for me to get the rest of the way there.  Something to do with discovering new Mennonite bakeries...

On a more encouraging note, my lipid levels have been testing great.  My lipid genetics Dr is very pleased.  He told me that he would be quite happy if they stayed the same for the rest of my life.  And that he wishes for me to be far above average for my career, finances, life,  but with respect to long term cardiovascular risk, to be average.

I have no complaints about the casual state of my work week.  Actually I love it and have no plans to make it busier.  D is still in disbelief that his workplace is so balanced and want to ride it out for another 4 years.  He really enjoys the social aspect and it is easy money, he says.

Our ideas of permanently moving out west are fading for now.  We're not sure if they will come back into focus primarily due to lack of similar options for overall conveniences versus where we are.  The geography hasn't outweighed that at this point.  And we seem to be less willing to give up here when we can still get a piece of the action a few times a year.

This was also the first summer without our cottage.  We both get glimpses of moments where we miss the idea of it but miss it really-- No.  We were done with that phase of our lives after 14 years.  And are grateful to have gotten to live out that dream for a while.  

2 comments:

  1. Hi MW! Sorry to hear you've been so sick, but glad you're recovering, if slowly. I think in our light-speed-running world it's easy to forget just how long the body takes to actually heal from an illness or injury. Makes you realise how ridiculous all this running and chasing really is, doesn't it? Hope your recovery continues to go well and your energy is back to 'normal' levels soon.

    What a pain about your credit card issues too! Stupid fraudsters. I don't know how they live with themselves, but they obviously do, and quite happily, so it really confounds me. But I suppose it's sadly normal these days, this cyber-crime. Just a result of our continued progress as a 'civilisation'.

    Wishing you well and hope that D continues to be happy at his job. Sounds like he's really found his niche! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! The slow healing has made me feel old! You are right -- The ever rushing of the overly scheduled life seems so silly, especially when it is self induced...That lesson has been on repeat the last few years. Think it is finally getting it through my stubborn skull. :)

      D is a much different person at his job. Am super pleased for him and us that he is able to experience that at this stage of work.

      Speaking of work, I admire your perseverence and focus with your book, your extra job, debt reorganization and search for your living space. That's a awful lot of balls in the air, on top of keeping healthy and everyday life... Keep up the excellent work!


      Delete