Sunday, March 2, 2014

Memorable

Typical small village market.

All those dots are flies.  They were buzzing everywhere.

I couldn't get enough of the local markets.
Was happy to wander away in them looking
for some of the yummy treats to eat.

This is how ice is sold.

Heading to where relocated families live by what was the old garbage dump.
The new one has a guard there and he wouldn't let me enter as I was a foreigner.





First Aid station at a prominent museum...
I had more useful stuff in my purse than I saw in the cabinet which
only contained hand sanitizer, rubbing alcohol and face masks...



Gorgeous scenery at the beginnings of the Tonle Sap Lake.
The largest freshwater lake in Southeast Asia (UNESCO)
Read about the gigantic volume changes it goes through each year.


What dry season looks like. 
The water will rise all the way up in wet season.
Water for cooking and drinking is brought up via the blue plastic line.
The same water is used for bathing and bathroom...
And people make a living from fishing.

Originally I had plans to spend the day helping a villager but
when an opportunity came up to come here
(Kompong Khleang -- largest stilted/floating village of 1200 families on Tonle Sap Lake),
I leapt at the chance to spend some time on the water.
Coming here remains a major highlight for me, surpassing Angkor.


What the photo doesn't show is the crazy loud music
blaring from public loud speakers -- Religious music,
contemporary music, wedding music...


This would be classified as a "Type 1 household"
who struggle to meet daily needs, often are ill,
no savings, employment.


Catering team for a village wedding.



Mending fishing nets.

Would love to see this during the rainy season.


My ride for the next 1 1/2 hours.  It was magical.





See the woman holding what looks like a racket?
They use it to hit the fishing nets effectively dislodging the smaller fishes.
This technique is aptly called fish badminton.












Finally reached wide open water.
Could barely make out the horizon -- Strange eerie sensation.



The lake is only a few metres deep in dry season.
And no, there were no life jackets I could see on the boat.
At this point of the trip, stuff like this no longer phased me.

Engine was turned off and we just sat for a while with no wave noise.
It was the most peaceful moment I had all trip.
The silence was wonderful.  We were speechless and stunned by the beauty.
Photo doesn't even come close.  Must see if you are in the area.

Slum area in Siem Reap supported by NGO.


Yes, it is barbed wire that people hang their clothing on.
On child recently got his scalp nicely torn after trying to run under it.

These kids grabbed onto my leg and wouldn't let go.
My host was frantically trying to get them off me as they were filthy.
I didn't mind and was amazed at their strength.

Kids in Cambodia have a habit of coming up behind you silently
and wacking you in the butt, hard, to get your attention. 
I was wacked a lot here and at the garment district food stalls.

It didn't matter how poor an area was, they all had their local hangouts and markets.
The communities really stick together.  Kids run freely with parents knowing
that others around will keep an eye on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment