Tuesday, October 8, 2013

D's Work Offer: The Decision

Here it is: 

Excerpt of D's email to my "Parents" (the couple who have been more supportive of me than my biological ones).


MW has just come home from the East Coast and is swamped at work, so I thought I would reply with an update on the job decision.

The opportunity itself would be a real chance for me to use my skills and do some great work, and will lead to plenty of opportunities further down the road. But, once we started getting a clearer picture of what 75% travel looks like, I am not sure I am up for that big of a change and be even coherent once I get home.  It would mean selling the cottage, as we would not have time to use it.  Currently we go up on Thurs night and I work remote on Fridays.  (Turns out my travel work week is more accurately described Sun to Fri.)

Our lifestyle is pretty great right now, and something like this, which on one hand would scratch my career ambition itch, would leave me with a very different leisure life.  Combined with MW's travels, we run the very real possibility we might not see each for extended periods of time.   So as you can imagine, it really does not work with our life and this week, I will be declining the offer.  This officially ends the XYZ Adventure.



And an excerpt of their reply:

Thanks for keeping us updated on what has been a very difficult decision; however, you clearly carefully considered all factors and have no doubt made the right decision.  As you note quality of life counts for more than the job!  We trust (your company) will be pleased, as no doubt was MW.


Speaking of MW, how was her east coast adventure?  It seems she would have had pretty fine weather, which is rare and quite essential in those parts.  And how is your biking going?  Tour de France next?

We eagerly anticipate your visit.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on making the decision. Agonizing over these things can be so soul-sucking. I'm guessing it's a relief to know the decision is made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your support!

      Happy to lay this chapter to rest. We both feel a bit beaten up still. And it did start negatively affecting my enthusiasm for life -- Not good. This search ate up our entire summer and September. It is our "one and done". Time to claim back our time and lives again.

      Delete
    2. PS. Have a Wonderful Thanksgiving!!!

      Delete
  2. Hope you enjoy Thanksgiving too :) You can be thankful that this issue is put to rest!

    ReplyDelete