Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Cards & Thoughts

I don't know if I ought to feel ashamed for this or not, but I haven't bought a card outside of a package of Thank You cards (which doesn't count) for years and years.  You know the type where you actually spend some time browsing a Hallmark Store for? 

Traditionally I've never been a fan of cards (can admire beautifully made ones though) as I found them to cost way more than the value I placed on it.  Personally it makes more sense to spend more on the gift than on the packaging. 

D used to buy me cards, quirky handmade ones for all occasions until he realized I wasn't really into them so he pretty much has stopped.  I have enjoyed getting the odd really cool one as he knows I'm a huge fan of the "Where's Waldo" books. 

Last week I found myself at a card store looking for something to accompany a "care package" for the buddy of mine who sent me the gift of the BB app.  He is going through some seriously difficult times (which made his gesture to cheer Me up that much more touching).  I'm sure he had a good laugh when I shared just what it took for me to be ready to buy that app.

It makes me squirmy to not be able to help solve a problem as I'm such an action person.  I'm one of those people who when asked if I'd like to donate to such and such a cause at the check out line or outside of a store or when travelling, the answer is Yes. 

If we lived in the same city I could offer to baby sit, take him out for a meal, meet for a drink, have them over for dinner etc.  But from this far away, email and the occasional phone call when time zones and schedules match up, end up being our primary mode of communication.  The last time we saw each other was 4 years ago.  It's tough to not be able to do anything concrete when I can so clearly hear his pain. 

So I decided to send a package filled with snacks and treats appropriate for grown ups -- Something to remind him of fun times.  I have been tracking the delivery and am thrilled it had finally arrived and been signed for.  I hope receiving it brings on a smile even if the contents may not be exactly to his taste.  Either way, it's nice receiving something by mail and be reminded that someone out there is thinking of you. 

Speaking of which, have you ever tried to find a "Thinking of You" card for a guy recently?  And if so, were you able to find anything that wasn't floral or twirly?!  Writing an exam seemed easier.  I finally settled on the least feminine one they had at a whooping cost of $8.19 taxes in...Inflation has definitely hit the card sector.  HE is worth it and I can afford it, but the card itself really wasn't.  Next time I'm going the homemade route.

No comments:

Post a Comment