Thursday, December 24, 2009

On Graciousness

I find it amusing the number of recent blog posts slamming travel as a worthwhile activity. The topic could easily be substituted with a myriad of other subjects.

What strikes me as strange is the strength of emotion behind the posts. If I didn't know better (or maybe I do), it sounds almost prejudice in quality.

If the topic was approached from the direction of environmental impact, I would understand it more. Calling an activity a waste of time or unnecessary, I feel is inappropriate and unkind.

Not everyone appreciate or enjoys the same hobbies or past times. Not everyone wants children. Not everyone enjoys home ownership. I would not label their choices as wrong just because it is different from mine.

We are fortunate to be living in a country where one can pursue various interests and past times. To knock another person's choice is a petty way of being "right". I would prefer to describe that as a bad case of self righteousness.

What happened to being gracious and open minded to differences? I happen to enjoy reading and hearing about how differently people live their lives. There is much to learn from each other.

Sometimes it confirms the path I am on. Sometimes it changes my path. Both are good.

A wonderful Christmas Eve to Everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Nicely said! I think for those who slam travel, it's because it seems blatantly excessive, or perhaps a waste of money, particularly for those of us on pf blogs for some reason.

    But I agree: if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything! There are hundreds of things other people do that I'd consider a waste of time/money, but travel certainly isn't one of them. What a wonderful education!

    Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite agree!

    Happy a very Happy Holiday and I wish you all the very best for 2010 :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Northern Living Allowance;

    Merry Christmas to you too!!!

    I agree. I too feel it comes down to common courtesy and appreciation of differences.

    To be honest, I thought we as human beings have gotten past such behaviour so it shocks me when I encounter it.

    Hi Laura!

    What a great year you've had! I cannot wait to hear how things evolve for you in 2010.

    A Very Merry Holiday Season to You and Yours!!

    ReplyDelete